Things you won't find in Connecticut

Things you won't find CT



20% off at Mardel
Pei Wei
4" of snow=2 snow days





Thursday, February 3, 2011

A week of Snow Days!

It happened, I tell you, it happened.  The story that you're about to read is true.  Monday started as any ole other Monday.  You know how Monday's are, don't you?  Yep, I had spent the evening on Sunday getting ready for the week ahead.  Its an OCD routine of mine, five suits of clothes ironed and hung (in order) in the closet, lunch for tomorrow decided, school bags packed, Blackberry checked for appointments, teeth brushed and body showered. 

4:15, alarm sounds.  My morning routine started and completed.  I traipsed off to school, just like I do every Monday.  Morning exercises with the elementary and middle school students started well.  Their faces were glowing and excited to be back in school after a beautiful Oklahoma weekend.  Oh, did I mention that we had record temperatures near 80 degrees on Saturday.  No, I forgot to mention that, didn't I?  Well, as seemingly insignificant as that may seem, it is an important fact to note at this point in the story.  Change is good, right?

It actually started at Faculty Prayer in the morning.  "We need to rearrange the schedule for this week.  We're expecting snow."  Around noon on Monday, I was met with additional comments that sounded much like this, "Are we going to close school tomorrow?"

"What," I thought.  "Why would we close school tomorrow?  This is SPIRIT WEEK! for heaven's sake.  We've put a lot of planning into the week."

Hummm...Well, it appears that a terrible snow storm is on its way to the Tulsa area.  At that point, it was only predicted.  As I listened to the comments of these native Okies who tried to tell me that we would not have school tomorrow, I wasn't sure if I should question their selfish motives or trust their aged experience.  In fact, we'd be lucky to  be back in by next Monday, they continued to exclaim.  What, are you kidding me?  Seriously, can a snow storm incapitate a city for that long?

I've learned a new lesson about Oklahoma weather.  As fate -not that I believe in fate, I'm a Christian leader, you know - anyway, as fate would have it, it began to snow and sleet and snow and sleet and blow and snow and blow and snow and blow and sleet and snow (you get the idea, right?).  Yeah, we're talking thunder snow.  What in the heck is thunder snow! 

I have experienced snow storms in New England for the past 19 years.  However, I have never seen snowflakes whipped around like I did on Tuesday, all day on Tuesday.  There are drifts on drifts. 

It is now Thursday morning.  As I sit here posted this requested blog, I am viewing the sun rays pouring through the window, laughingly splashng on the kitchen table causing the colorfully checkered table cloth to display an assorted variety of reds, yellows, oranges, and blues.  The brightness of the rays cause me to squint as I look out the window.  I have to turn the light out just to see the computer screen.  The sun is too bright as it mocks the idea of warmth.  You see, the temperature today is -2.  Not exactly warm, is it.

Okay, it is Thursday now.  The combination of 12 inches of snow, limited snow plowing activity, Alaska temperatures, and inexperienced snow drivers have forced us to not only close school on Tuesday but we're now in day three.  And I have to tell you, tomorrow isn't lookin' too good either.

Have you any idea what it is like to be stranded in your own home with two teenage boys, a preteen (who, in their right mind coined that freakish word!) girl, and a dog who can't figure out how to get to his poop spot?  Should Monday arrive and I am able to navigate my Toyota out of the driveway into the snow packed streets, I shall rejoice greatly as I begin to notice that civilization has not been eliminated, just slowed down.    Maybe, in the purest sense of the word, snow days create an environment where family, food, and dogs can reconnect, restructure, and re-play. 

A week of snow day...not to be repeated (I hope), but to be appreciated and taken in stride.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! We shared a storm! - at least we are back today and the sun is shining, though our temps are still below freezing, in the low 20s. Stay motivated : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your voice in this post! And I'll take back my mean comment about how wimpy you Okies are. I should never have swatted at you when you were already down. ;) Try to enjoy your surprise winter break!

    ReplyDelete