Things you won't find in Connecticut

Things you won't find CT



20% off at Mardel
Pei Wei
4" of snow=2 snow days





Saturday, December 25, 2010

What is Christmas

What is Christmas?  Today, we "celebrated" the day with my family.  It wasn't much of a celebration.  We went to my cousins house and ate.  I don't think my kids really enjoyed it.  It was very different from what we are used to doing.

Do you every feel like an outsider within your family?  That is kind of the way I felt today.  My two older boys are still in Connecticut and spent the day with their grandmother.  I talked to Jeremy twice, once yesterday and once today.  It was nice to hear from him.

Growing up, I have very fond memories of Christmas.  However, as I really stop to think about it, they are sorted memories.  There are multiple Christmas "chapters".  Birth to five was in Guymon and I have pictures to remember those early holiday happenings.  From five to thirteen, we were in Basalt, Colorado.  Sometimes my mom worked on Christmas day, but we always had something special with my sister and her family.  Those memories are vivid and probably represent a true "home" Christmas.  Of course, snow was plentiful.  I remember my Dad dressing up like Santa for my mom's Christmas work parties.  He would "show-up" and give candy to all of the kids.  I was proud.

I also remember when Aunt Betty moved to Colorado.  I remember going over to her house.  She always wore red and a Christmas apron.  She was the best.  Going to her house brings back sented memories, watching T.V. and lots and lots of laughter and fun.  I miss her.

Once we moved to Texas, we spent a the first Christmas with my dad's nephew and his wife.  I assume that was nice, but I don't really remember it too much.  My dad died the following spring.  Every other Christmas we spent at Aunt Barbara's house.  I remember her placing an emphasis on Christ and children.  I always felt special at her house.  She made sure that everyone had a great day and felt a part of the celebration.

I think that is what Roger is trying to capture today.  There were only a few children there today.  The house was crowded and the event was eventless.  This is where I felt out of place.  I wonder what is wrong with me, but I don't think there is anything wrong with me.  My kids are who they are.  There aren't going to change because we moved here.  They don't want to be a part of this celebration; they want their own celebration.  They want their own tradition.  They want us together and enjoying each other, not eating food they don't like trying to fit in where they don't and feeling isolated.  I think it is time to move on and begin the traditions over again.  Or, maybe it is time to skip tradition and allow spontaneity to reign.

A  good friend gave me some profound words of wisdom that I'm going to pass on to my children and take with me into the new year, "you can't go back but you can go forward."

So, as Christmas day closes, I am not going back.  I'm going forward.  I don't know what that is going to look like in 2011, but it is progressive, new, and positive.

Tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

  1. I like spontaneity- wonderful traditions come about from silliness or serving ie. ringing Salvation Army bells with flashing necklaces and a boom box for me and a friend this year.
    Forward- in God's love and grace friend and a very Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete